Monday, November 5, 2012

Velvet Skirt

"I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable."
      -George Costanza

I'm not sure I would go as far as George and wear a totally velvet ensemble (although I probably did in elementary school), but I have wanted to add some velvet to my wardrobe, and yesterday I did.

While scouring over my fabric stash, I came across some green velvet fabric my mom uses to make Christmas ornaments. It wasn't enough to make leggings (which is what I wanted), but there was just enough to make a skirt.



I didn't use a pattern, but since I didn't have much material to work with, it was easy to visualize something. I started with a thick waistband, then gathered the body, and decided on zipper and buttons for a closure.






Because I stole fabric from mom (she forgave me when she saw the finished product) and used old buttons and a zipper, this project cost absolutely nothing. Overall I love the skirt's color and the fit, and I'm looking forward to wearing it all winter

No comments:

Post a Comment